What is Stephen Ministry?
Stephen Ministry is grounded in Jesus’ command to love one another. Through one-to-one caring relationships, those who are hurting or experiencing transitions receive the love and care they need to support them.
Everyone goes through difficult times. Having someone to care, to listen, and to share God’s love with you can help you get through the confusion, stress or loneliness you may be experiencing.
What is a Stephen Minister?
A Stephen Minister is…
• A child of God who walks beside a person who is hurting.
• A caring, Christian friend who takes the time to really listen.
• A lay person who has received 50 hours of training in how to provide distinctively Christian care.
A Stephen Minister is NOT…
• A counselor or therapist.
• A problem-solver.
• A casual visitor.
When is a Stephen Minister needed?
There are times in life when each one of us needs the care of a Christian friend. A Stephen Minister can be that friend in your time of need. These needs include (but are not limited to) when you or someone close to you is:
• hospitalized, seriously ill, undergoing treatment, or recovering.
• providing care for a family member.
• grieving the loss of a loved one.
• in a job crisis.
• new to the community.
• in a spiritual crisis.
• facing life transitions.
• experiencing separation, divorce, or estrangement.
• preparing for childbirth or adoption.
• facing anxiety or depression.
• homebound or lonely.
• looking for a caring, Christian friend.
How does the referral process work?
Upon learning that someone is in need of Christian care through Stephen Ministry, our pastors, Steve Bomar and Jana Gingerich will discuss the details with the individual. If warranted, they will then assign a Stephen Minister to meet with the person on a regular basis.
Becoming a Stephen Minister
Please prayerfully consider if you would like to be trained as a Stephen Minister to walk alongside those at Zion Mennonite Church who are hurting.
Please contact Pastor Jana to indicate your interest.
Stephen Ministers are: Karen Kropf, Luanne Berkey, Carolyn Yoder, Chris Keady.
If you would like to meet with a Stephen Minister, please contact one of our pastors –
Steve Bomar <firstname.lastname@example.org> or
Jana Gingerich <email@example.com>.
If you prefer, you can simply call the ZMC office (503/651-2274).